Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The New Career

Day number two now under my belt, and I have a feeling I've made a great decision. One month ago I put the stresses of LB Productions behind me, forever. Now I embark on what is already proving to be a wise move. I am finding this new position with the State of Oregon is just a fraction of what I did on a daily basis with my own business. This makes me able to concentrate on the task at hand with more focus and is giving me time to decompress from the past 10 years of my life that I've been running around like a crazy man.

I have already learned a lot with this new position. The state only contracts with certain vendors. Unlike my business, I can't just go to anyone and order something. No, no, no... a certain policy has to be followed each and every time. The process is redundant and might as well be recorded in stone. My job consists of helping the employees of ODOT order technology related products and software for their units. There are about 150 people who work under the same roof I do. It is my job to consult with them to find solutions that will work for their division.

Another thing I have noticed, is I need to find ways to keep myself occupied when I'm not helping facilitate orders. I know once things get rolling I will be doing a lot more, but in the meantime it's been a lot of paper work and finding things to do so I don't go crazy. This is a very good thing though, as I for once have time to take a breath in what use to be a very hectic lifestyle.

Now to the fun part - my radiation treatments. On Monday I left work at 4:30 racing to Portland to have my treatment. I was a half hour late! So this morning (Tuesday), I sat down with my supervisor and explained my situation. We worked it out so now I will be going in at 7:30am as opposed to 8, and I will be able to leave at 4:00pm. Today, I made it in the knick of time by leaving a half hour earlier. You're talking to a guy who rarely got up before 9:00am in the past seven or so years, so as you can imagine this schedule change is BRUTAL!

Nevertheless, despite the time adjustment, I feel I have made a great life change. I am enjoying meeting my new coworkers, who for the most part are extremely nice. It is an organization that I feel great about joining and proud to be a part of for years to come.

-LB

No comments:

PHOTOS