Tuesday, August 26, 2008

THE LATEST --------->

P.E.T. SCAN RESULTS ARE IN

I received a call from my oncologist this afternoon -- the results from my P.E.T. scan were in. The news confirmed what I had suspected, that Lymphoma is likely in lymph nodes deep in my abdominal area rather than in my groin. The procedure I had almost two weeks ago was a waste of time, as the cancer was higher up in my body. Why a P.E.T. scan was not ordered before the biopsy is beyond me, and frankly, I'm not too thrilled about it right now.

So what will happen next? Though the scan showed cells metastasizing in the abdominal lymph glands, it is still not a sure bet I have cancer. Nine out of ten times it is, however. One of three things are likely to happen: 1) A needle biopsy will be performed to collect tissue, 2) an endoscopic biopsy will be done to view and collect the tissue, 3) some light chemotherapy treatment will be given to see if it has any results. Why weren't these things done previously, even on the lymph node that wasn't effected? Why weren't these options even discussed with me before? It's beyond me, and I'm growing with frustration over it.

This all comes on the heels of yesterday's follow up appointment with my surgeon to remove the sutures. Apparently it was too long and my skin had already started growing over the top of them, making the removal a painful and messy process. Days before, the incision had started to leak a clear and milky discharge. I called into my oncologist who told me this can happen. As the weekend progressed it became more of a stream than a drip. By Monday (yesterday) it was starting to slow a bit. Nevertheless, I could not go out in public, let alone go to work. My surgeon said it was lymph fluid coming from my lower leg and going straight out -- saying it was the "path of least resistance." The reinforcements he put in place weren't working and the wound would have to be 'packed.' Today I had my second round of 'packing' done out in Stayton where my primary doctor is. Their reaction was negative as well, noting the infection and lack of care to the wound and surgery. Wednesday, I will most likely be heading towards Portland again to make sure the infection is under control.

Right now I stay home (unable to work), and thinking about what is in front of me -- another frustrating battle with Lymphoma, something I'm going to fight, but not likely with the help of OHSU.

-LB

No comments:

PHOTOS