Saturday, August 23, 2008

Change of Plans

Needle Biopsy Called Off; P.E.T. Scan To Be Taken Instead -

In a last minute decision, it appears I will be having a P.E.T. scan on Monday at OHSU instead of a needle biopsy. This is because OHSU radiologists are just too nervous to perform one in the sensitive area where my lymph nodes are. According to my oncologist -- it was just to risky to go in there with a needle. Because I wasn't about to go under with general anesthesia again, I opted to go ahead and take another P.E.T. scan. My previous scan was over six months ago, last January in fact.

(photo credit: this is what a typical needle biopsy of a lymph node looks like. The needle is quite long and such a biopsy can be very painful, but does not require someone to be put asleep, it's all local anesthetics.)

The P.E.T. should give us a lot of clues according to my doctor. He said that if there indeed has been cancer activity since the first of the year, it will show it. And if it does, I am prepared to have one of not more treatments of chemotherapy. After talking with my family about it, it seems like the wisest route to go at this point. Having more surgery is at the end of my list. Even steroid treatment trumps any exploratory surgeries in my opinion.

The other ongoing issue is the amount of work I have been missing. This has been an awfully rough experience as I just took a promotion at ODOT. So far, my manager has been understanding and is aware I might be out for intermittent periods over the next few months.

Meanwhile, I find myself home alone in Salem and lonely :-( as my girlfriend and her son are off in sunny Florida at Disneyworld. There was more than one reason why I was unable to go along. Maybe next year I will be able to go.

-LB

1 comment:

Kelly said...

You are welcome to come over and hang out with my kids... they would totally entertain you, and could use the challenge at Guitar Hero! As of late, I have an average of 4-6 of them over here at any given time.

I miss you at the office Levi, and continue to pray for you,

PHOTOS