Wednesday, August 20, 2008

>>><<<< BREAKING NEWS <<<<<>>>>

"OMG, WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?"

The news is in! It's not good news, nor is it bad... it's just plain confusing. After being forced to wait over an hour for my doctor, my girlfriend and I found out that there is no evidence that Lymphoma is present in my left groin. So where does that leave us? Just exactly where we were 24 hours ago. The biopsy result did say I have inflamed tissue which was causing the swelling in both my groin and leg. This we do know.

(photo credit: Oregon Health & Science University's Center for Health and Healing on the south waterfront of the Willamette River in Portland, Oregon / where I have all my appointments with my oncology medical professionals).

What's next? I was given three options:
1) Take another biopsy in my pelvic region where there are more active lymph nodes.

2) Undergo steroid treatment to bring down the swelling -- though if I did have Lymphoma -- it would eventually come back on it's own.

3) Start undergoing chemotherapy treatment on the basis that I do have Lymphoma -- an option I wasn't even going to entertain!

My doctor was leaning towards option one, but let me tell you... going in to be slit open only for a second time in less than a week didn't appeal to me. As a matter of fact, I am still quite sore from this recent biopsy, which was a very unpleasant experience.

So, I listened to option 2 once again, but the thing is, it would probably have less than desirable side effects, including diabetes risk, harmful effects to liver and kidneys, and weight gain.

This took me back to option 1 -- have a biopsy, but I asked the doc at this point "did I need to have an invasive biopsy that was going to involve full-on surgery?" I suggested a needle biopsy, and after watching him debate it in his mind for about five minutes... he agreed we could proceed with this.

The needle biopsy is going to be a difficult one, because this lymph node, just like the one I just had biopsied is quite deep and will have to be guided in by a CT scan. My last scan revealed I had "golf-ball sized" lymph nodes in my pelvic area, and some of them very active. So the object is to poke one of them and extract tissue... believe me it isn't anymore pleasant than it sounds!

So, this is what is on the agenda my friends -- a needle biopsy in my pelvic area within a week. Then, maybe just then, we will have a more solid answer on what just ales this tired exhausted soul of mine.

-LB

P.S. I plan on keeping you updated regularly from here on out -- so please keep checking in!

1 comment:

Our son Kade said...

Wow - I don't know if I should be happy that it wasn't, or more worried that they don't know? We've been thinking about you a lot and hoping that things will go well for you, and the doctors will know what you need and how to help you. Good luck, thanks for keeping the updates online. Good luck Levi! Alicia, Brian and Charlotte Carper

PHOTOS