Thursday, November 15, 2007

A Setback

Just when I thought things were looking up, things took a turn for the worst. I woke up Monday morning with one very swollen leg. I have no clue how it started, and the docs and I are still trying to figure it out. Tuesday I got through most of the day without a hitch, but the swelling was getting worse, and signs of it showing up in my left leg. I saw the docs at OHSU on Tuesday evening after my treatment, and they talked about putting me on medication, but due to it's severity on the kidneys they opted to just caution me to keep my legs up overnight. There was no relief by Wednesday morning as I hobbled around work. I felt nauseous and decided to go home after lunch. Kept my legs up in my recliner all afternoon and didn't see much result. Went to treatment Wednesday night and they paged my doctor almost immediately when they saw my swollen legs. My doctor suggested we take a blood test first thing on Thursday (today) before my treatment. After putting my feet up for several hours last night, I finally noticed some relief, and when I woke up this morning to my surprise a lot of the swelling had gone away. Out of caution and request of the doctors, I took today off from work. Even though the swelling has gone down considerably, I am keeping optimistic that it's on it's way out. I am still obviously going to get the blood lab to find out for sure what is going on. I hope that it is just a reaction to all the radiation. My doctor said it's very possible, but kind of unusual for both legs to swell like that. I am just glad to have some of my mobility back, but my foot hurts really bad now that the radiation has taken hold. If all my swelling goes away, then I will be fine if that is the only complaint I have. The other possibilities could obviously be kidneys and liver problems causing this kind of swelling... naturally I am keeping my fingers crossed it is not. Thanks to everyone praying and thinking of me at this time. I'm doing my best to take care of myself.

-LB

No comments:

PHOTOS