Sunday, November 25, 2007

My Favorite Aunt

My favorite Aunt is Pat Zbylut... talk about a strong woman. I got to share some thoughts with her over Thanksgiving dinner. She knows what I am going through. She has been battling rheumatoid arthritis for several years now. We have watched a once physically strong person be handicapped by this horrible condition. As awful as it has been for her, she still has plenty of spunk mentally.

As I waddled in for Thanksgiving dinner, I immediately went for my parents reclining chair, knowing it would be the most comfortable seat in the house. While most everyone stayed in the kitchen and talked, she came into the living room to see how I was doing. It meant a lot to me. She told me how unfair it was for me to have to go through all this, and that she knows what I am going through. But sadly, I can see what she is going through as well, and I find it as equally unfair for her to go through what she has.

We both joked -- with the absence of Terry (her husband, my uncle) -- that her and I actually got to talk for a change. Normally, Terry and I trade jabs the entire dinner and joke about how much we enjoy "hanging around with the dysfunctional family." But this time I had a real meaningful conversation with her, one that only both her and I could have... because we are both experiencing some of life's injustices, but at the same time we learn from each other and have become really strong human beings as a result.

I just wanted everyone to know what a cool aunt I have, and this one is for you Pat. Thanks for being there for me, like no one else could -- because they have no idea what it's like!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Technology really has become one with our daily lives, and I think it is safe to say that we have passed the point of no return in our relationship with technology.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as memory gets less expensive, the possibility of downloading our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's one of the things I really wish I could encounter in my lifetime.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://cryst4lxbands.livejournal.com/398.html]R4 Card[/url] DS NePof)

PHOTOS