Saturday, March 18, 2006

Ron Thompson Benefit

Not since I was ill have I saw such an outpouring of support for a person who was in a similar or worse situation that I was. Ron Thompson, who is about 20 years older than me was diagnosed with liver cancer about two-three months ago. Ron does not have health insurance. Luckily I did, though the insurance only covered about 80% of my medical bills.

$27,000.00 was raised at the benefit Saturday, March 18, 2006. Though that will only be a small drop in the bucket for his medical expenses, Ron, his wife Marty, and their family have witnessed how truly generous Wallowa County is.

Friends Les and Ava Bridges helped put on the benefit, and it was because of their tireless efforts (among others) that made this such a successful event. Ron and his family are blessed to have such wonderful friends.

I was blessed 8 years ago today when I finished my final chemotherapy treatment. I was blessed by 35 of my good friends, my senior class at Joseph High School, my guardian angels who chose to not have a senior trip, but instead to donate the money to my bills.

Seeing Ron Thompson and James Huffman's situations, I've been able to reminisce what was one of the darkest and brightest times of my life. -LB

No comments:

PHOTOS