Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Lymphomatoid Papulosis

Try saying that ten times fast. Try being a patient of it. For those of you who don't know, I suffer from a condition called Lymphomatoid Papulosis (LyP). Here is a brief background of what it is:

Background: Lymphomatoid papulosis (LyP) is a chronic papulonecrotic or papulonodular skin disease with histologic features suggestive of a malignant lymphoma. The disease is characterized by recurrent crops of pruritic papules at different stages of development that predominantly arise on the trunk and limbs. The papules heal spontaneously over 1-2 months, usually leaving slightly depressed oval scars.

The term lymphomatoid papulosis originally was used by Macaulay in 1968 to describe "a self-healing rhythmical paradoxical eruption, histologically malignant but clinically benign.” Due to the typical waxing and waning clinical course, LyP was previously considered a pseuodolymphomatous inflammatory process. However, the classification system for cutaneous lymphomas has evolved rapidly, and, during consensus meetings in 2003-2004, the World Health Organization—European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer (WHO-EORTC) classification grouped LyP among the indolent cutaneous T-cell lymphomas. The rationale for classifying LyP as a cutaneous lymphoma is its association with other malignant lymphoproliferative disorders; however, some experts hesitate to classify this chronic skin disease as a true malignancy because of its spontaneous resolution and benign clinical course.

LyP is part of a spectrum of CD30 (Ki-1)–positive cutaneous lymphoproliferative diseases (CD30+ LPDs), including LyP, primary cutaneous anaplastic large cell lymphoma (pcALCL), and borderline CD30+ lesions.

------------------

In other words, I have bumps and blisters every little while. Some come and go, some stay for months.

I have had Lymphomatoid Papulosis since I was 11 years old. And with only about 250 cases in the United States, you could say I am "one in a million." Though not a lucky one in a million. LyP is really Lymphoma's ugly cousin. Though it doesn't require most anything but some photo therapy, creams, or no attention at all, it is still a very painful condition. Right now I am int he middle of one of my worst outbreaks ever. I have a very large blister on the left side of my foot. It oozes and bleeds all the time. I finally went to see the local doc yesterday, and I was yet again referred to OHSU in Portland. I am still waiting on a phone call from them and trying to decide if I need to go back down there. Though it might help others down the road with this condition, my going to OHSU usually leads to a mis diagnosis of sorts (very common with this condition). The mis diagnosis usually reveals I have lymphoma, which is not the case at all. In fact, the lead oncologist at OHSU did just that three years ago. A needle biopsy vindicated me of any belief that I had cancer and/or it had returned from my original diagnosis nearly 10 years ago.

So by the first of next week I'll decide if I want to become a medical guinea pig again, or just tough it out and hope that it 'goes away.'

-LB

6 comments:

Brian & Charlotte Carper said...

Ouch, that's no fun at all! Must be kind of un-nerving too, to know that you have the LyP, but to be told its Lymphoma over and over again. I hope you get healed up soon! :) Alicia

Moose Egg said...

Well, I'm a little late getting in on this blog but want you to know I've had LyP for a number of years and getting worse as time went on, eventually it turned into a miserable mess all over my body 3 or 4 times a year. It was depressing but I got lucky with Dr. Mutasim of Cincinnati who prescribed methotrexate at 5 mg. per week and I am happy to say I've been LyP free for the past 8 months. So don't get down, there is some relief out there

Anonymous said...

Kontaktanzeigen fuer Singles gibt´s bei time4Love.ch, der Singlebörse im Netz. Gelegentliches Dating, seriöse Partnervermittlung oder die große Liebe.

[url=http://www.time4love.ch] [img]http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/44/l_1e42544c6dc44919aefcd0f7a761271d.jpg[/img]

parship
swissfriends
parship
er sucht sie

[/url]

Anonymous said...

hi every person,

I identified levijosephbobbitt.blogspot.com after previous months and I'm very excited much to commence participating. I are basically lurking for the last month but figured I would be joining and sign up.

I am from Spain so please forgave my speaking english[url=http://lalatesttrends.info/forum].[/url][url=http://submityournewser.info/].[/url][url=http://motivationalquotesfe.info/].[/url]

Anonymous said...

Hey I just says thank you for this I also have been dealing with LyP. I have been since I was 10. I hate going to the OHSU but reading about Dr. Simpson and how he knew what it was gives me hope of not being a guinea pig. I have been from Dr. to Dr. and it really sucks when all you really want is the spots to go away. They are so icky. Im really debating going to the ER and doing what you did. Im rambling. Hope your doing well with your LyP and thank you..
Laurie_Beltran@yahoo.com it be nuce to know someone dealing with this

Anonymous said...

Hello, I log on to уouг blog regulаrly.
Yοur humorіstic stylе
iѕ ωіtty, κеep up the good wοrk!


My homeрage :: gsa Search Engine ranker license

PHOTOS