Friday, October 03, 2008

What's Next?

This week was a bit of a relief when my oncologist and I decided it was better not to go forward with a chemotherapy treatment. This is because the previous two treatments caused a reaction. Apparently a reaction that only happens to about 30% of patients treated with this chemo drug. It is a burning of the skin in the legs up to the middle of the stomach. Almost like a severe sunburn, and in my opinion possibly worse. So, with that happening, along with recent severe swelling from lymphedema, and just being completely drained from all of the above -- a week off sounded pretty good to me.

Another thing I've noticed about this chemotherapy is how it is effecting me mentally. I seem to be much more forgetful and even spacey at times. Many cancer patients would refer to this as "chemo brain." I believe I am no exception, especially this being the second time in my life of having chemo treatments.

When all this negative is happening, it is so easy to get caught up in all of it and forget about the positive things. So, it is my goal to think about the positive as much as I can (and at least name one thing during each blog entry). The positive is this, I know the chemo is working because I do not feel the stabbing pain from the huge lymph nodes in my abdominal area like I did a month ago. Something must be working!

Additionally, I was able to go back to work two days this past week. It allowed me to get caught up on my email and tasks there and let everyone know that I was going to make the best effort I could to start being in the office at least 2-3 days a week (so long as the treatment doesn't get the better of me -- which it will NOT).

So there you have it. What's ahead? I will have another chemotherapy treatment this coming Thursday. The dose will be less in hopes that it will not severely burn me. Most importantly, I have a positive prognosis to look forward to.

-LB

1 comment:

Brian & Charlotte Carper said...

Hey, 501 - I'm glad you got to take a break - even though it is just a small one. I've heard people say if you can forget you have cancer for even a couple hours it is a help in getting thru the daily.

I'm glad the severe pain in the abdomen is better. It is a painful price to pay for that little relief, but I know you have been in so much pain from that.

Take care this week - Love, Alicia's mom

PHOTOS