Monday, October 27, 2008

It's Time For An Update

Lots and lots of you have been asking why I haven't updated the blog in a while. Well, I apologize for that, and so I'll be sure and fill you in. The last two weeks have been hell as I've been swollen up like a balloon. It's the main reason I haven't updated. I've been confined to my recliner almost the entire time. What is the cause? We'll between my oncologist and I, we've pretty much figured out it is the oxycodone pain medication and the type of chemotherapy I've been on. It comes as no surprise that I fell into that small minority that have this side effect to this type of chemo... lucky me :-)

The swelling went from head to toe on my body, and with this obvious handicap, I was not able to work, let alone barely walk. Breathing has even been a chore. Luckily, I've switched pain medication and taken a break from chemo -- and the swelling has been coming down. Really what it is -- is water weight, and it has been coming off slowly but surely. Tomorrow I plan to return to work, at least part time.

Wednesday will be the big day for me -- I go to OHSU in Portland to have a CT scan which will reveal if any of this chemo has helped wipe out this cancer. I am keeping my fingers crossed. If it could all be gone, I would be most grateful.

Also, on a positive note, I've had my long time friend Thane who has been living here while he goes to school. So he has definitely helped pick up the slack when I am unable.

To all of you, I thank you for your prayers and well wishes, without you, I wouldn't get through this.

-LB

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yo~ I'm taking methotrexate, a chemo drug to treat my arthritis. I've done well on it, but I'm looking forward to the day I get my other knee done and I'll be DONE with that drug. all that water retention is hard on my back. in the meantime, I had to take water pills to keep edema off my ankles, leg and knees. what a pain in the tushie! LOL

good luck with the CT scan...here's to hoping they find...NOTHING!

~Lori (sorry for the anon post...haven't figured out how Blogspot works...LOL)

Our son Kade said...

I'm glad for the update. We'll be thinking about you wednesday with your ct scan, and hoping its all going away! Good luck! :) Alicia

PHOTOS